The Brooklyn Arab American Friendship Center offers a small, nurturing environment where Arab immigrants and refugees can learn English as a Second Language, develop meaningful friendships, and bridge cross-cultural barriers.
Students practice reading, speaking, writing, and grammar in lessons that prepare them for employment and everyday life. We offer two levels of English classes Monday-Thursday, from 11:00 am – 12:30 pm (female students only), and during the evening, 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm (coed). We also offer citizenship classes, field trips, and Saturday Family Day featuring guest speakers on topics that vary from year to year.
Make a difference by teaching weekly ESL classes in person. At the moment, we are only looking for substitute teachers.
- The Fall 2023 semester starts on September 11 and concludes on December 20.
- Volunteers commit to teaching one class a week or may serve as substitutes.
- Classes are held Monday thru Thursday:
- 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- No teaching experience is necessary, just a heart and passion for serving and building friendships.
- Strong English-speaking skills are a must, as well as patience, flexibility, and a positive attitude.
- As a volunteer, you will have the opportunity to make a vital contribution to the lives of others while sharing the love of Christ.
- Volunteers must be 21 and over and complete an application form and interview with the Director.
Click "request information" to get started!