Urban Hope Inc. was formed to rescue and uplift children, teens and youth in the West Brighton community (North Shore of Staten Island) from a cycle of generational physical and emotional abuse, neglect, poverty, and lack of parental oversight and care resulting in risky social behaviors and poor academic performance.
Read to Succeed Program
We are looking for caring and skillful volunteers to serve in our Literacy Program to tutor and mentor K- 2 graders, so they can read at or above their grade levels. The Literacy Program runs from November - June, and is a 20 week program.
Role description: Volunteers tutor children during their lunch periods, which are typically from 10am-1pm or in the afterschool hours from 2-5pm, M-F.
Urban Hope has serviced PS 44, Lavelle, PS 31, PS 19, PS 18, PS 68 and PS 78.
- No experience or advanced preparation is necessary, just a willing heart to want to make a positive difference in a child's life.
- Volunteers must attend a 2-hour volunteer training.
- The minimum requirement is to assist: One Child, Once A Week, for One Hour.
- All Volunteers are welcome and should be 15+.
HopeKidz After-School Clubs
Impact the lives of our children by volunteering two hours at a NYC elementary school for our after-school program.
Role Description: Assist with Bible lessons, games, songs, literacy, and snacks. HopeKidz services children ages 5-12 and will run from 10/16/23 - 6/14/24. The schools that we will service are:
- Mondays-P.S. 18 , 221 Broadway, Staten Island, NY 10310
- Wednesdays-P.S. 19, 780 Post Ave., Staten Island, NY 10310
- Thursdays- P.S. 78, 35 Hill St., Staten Island, NY, 10304
- Fridays - P.S. 44, 80 Maple Parkway, Staten Island, NY 10303
The hours of the clubs are from 3:00-4:30 in all of the schools except for P.S. 19 which meets at 2:45-4:15. You can commit to one school or more than one.
Qualifications: You determine your length of service whether it's three months, five months, etc. But you must be committed to the day(s) that you volunteer for. You can make the difference!!
Click "Request Information" and complete the form in the confirmation email to get started.