Avail empowers New Yorkers facing an unintended pregnancy or past abortion with vital support and resources to inform their decisions, build healthy relationships and promote healing. There are several roles our volunteers assume to support Avail clients. We are also looking for volunteers comfortable meeting with Spanish-speaking clients in high stress situations and be great listeners. Bilingual in Spanish/English volunteers needed in all the following roles to serve.
- Female Equip Client Advocates: Volunteers needed 2.5 + hrs/wk to provide one-on-one support to clients who are carrying to term. Candidates must feel comfortable meeting with clients in high-stress situations, show empathy, and be great listeners. Training is provided. Nine-month minimum commitment and planned schedule required.
- Male Client Advocates: Volunteers needed 2.5 + hrs/wk to provide one-on-one meetings with male clients for decision making, parenting, or after abortion support. Candidates must feel comfortable meeting with clients in high-stress situations and be great listeners. Training is provided. Nine-month minimum commitment and planned schedule required.
- After Abortion Hope Client Advocates: Volunteers needed 2.5 + hrs/wk to support clients one-on-one who have had an abortion. Candidates must show empathy and be great listeners. Training is provided. Six-month minimum commitment and planned schedule required.
- After Abortion Hope Support Group Facilitator: Volunteers needed 2.5 + hrs/wk who have experienced healing from abortion to co-facilitate the Avail: Hope after abortion nine-week support group. Volunteers will first attend the support group as a client as part of their training. Six-month minimum commitment and planned scheduled required.
Pregnancy Support Classes:
RN/RNA, LPN, Midwife, Doula, PA, MDs, OB-GYN, nutritionist, dietician, child development or sleep specialist needed to lead classes for moms-to-be on any of the following topics: breastfeeding, labor & delivery, infant care, and pregnancy health.
- Prayer Committee - Volunteers needed to commit to dedicated prayer for clients and the center each week.
- Baby Shower Committee - Volunteers needed to organize and assist staff with scheduled baby showers for clients.
- Volunteers should be prepared to serve on weekdays in time slots of at least 2 hours and commit to volunteer at least three months after training. Tasks include the following:
- Data entry: Enter client demographics into the database
- Front desk assistance: Greet and check clients in for appointments
- Update client materials: Create and maintain reference materials for clients and support paperwork for client advocates.
All volunteers are asked to complete an application and be interviewed to assess the best volunteer role before serving. Use the link below to request additional information and staff will be in touch with you.