COVID-19: What Our Volunteers Need to Know
The Hope for New York team has been actively monitoring the development of COVID-19 in NYC. We anticipate that volunteer programs and services in our communities may be modified in response to COVID-19, which will impact volunteer opportunities in the near future.
Our goal is to take steps to best support the HFNY network—those who are poor and marginalized, HFNY affiliates and staff, HFNY volunteers—to take the necessary precautions and stay in communication with the HFNY network as the health situation unfolds.
As a HFNY volunteer, we encourage you to remain compassionate toward our neighbors in need. In the meantime, here are two immediate action to consider:
1- Connecting with us about your volunteer engagement:
If you anticipate canceling any volunteer opportunities you have signed up for, please log into your HFNY account and cancel as soon as possible so we can notify our affiliates. In order to protect your own health and safety as well as the health and safety of our affiliate staff and clients, please follow the Center for Disease Prevention guidelines for taking precautions. Additionally, please stay home if any of the following are true:
- You, someone you live with, or someone you have had close contact with has traveled to China, South Korea, Japan, Italy, or Iran in the last 14 days.
- You have been asked to self-quarantine by any doctor, hospital, or health agency. You, someone you live with, or someone you have had close contact with has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
- You have flu-like symptoms (fever, cough or shortness or breath).
2- Please pray specifically for:
- Protection, wisdom and discernment for us, for our city decision makers, and all those impacted with the virus.
- Protection for our most vulnerable populations (poor and marginalized communities that include homeless neighbors, elderly, young children).
- Protection for our affiliates who continue working closely with the communities they serve and who depend on volunteers.
- Protection for your fellow volunteers who are either continuing to serve or unable to serve our affiliates at this time.
We are thankful for your time and dedication in supporting our affiliates and our city! We hope to continue working together to help our city thrive and flourish.