The New York Dream Center partners with local communities through programs designed around identity, empowerment, purpose, and neighborhood engagement in order to see neighborhoods flourish across New York City.
Our block party-style mobile pantries provide essential food relief to families experiencing poverty and food insecurity.
Join us as we seek to alleviate food insecurity through our Community Markets. Each Community Market is tailored to meet the particular needs of the community we serve, and we strive to make it a life-giving and engaging experience.
Please note: To provide a welcoming and dignifying environment, the volunteer event may be cancelled if it rains or temps drop below 30 degrees. Volunteers will be notified of this cancellation via email, so please check your inbox if you are unsure.
Volunteer roles may include:
- Food Distribution: Give out dry goods or produce to families in need.
- Flyer Distribution: Assist in passing out flyers for upcoming Community Market dates and other related food information to raise awareness
- Resource Sharing: Share resource packets with families, providing them with information about support services available to them.
- Prayer Warriors: Offer prayer to individuals in need of spiritual support, providing comfort and encouragement.
- Diaper Distribution: Helping families sign up to receive diapers/wipes, organizing them by size, and giving them out to parents.
- Community Engagement: Connect and build relationships with individuals in the community, showing compassion and care, and being a friendly presence.
- Line Control: Assist in managing the flow of people during the Community Market, ensuring that the distribution process is smooth and orderly.
- Children's Activities: Play games with children, providing them with a fun and engaging experience during the Community Market.
- Setup/Teardown: Includes tasks such as breaking down cardboard boxes and general event setup.
Volunteers under 14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.