The Miles of Hope Challenge is a new HFNY program that encourages our supporters to sweat for a good cause! This is a two-month fundraising and fitness challenge for you to run, walk and/or cycle between our affiliate organization sites in NYC—at your own pace, in your own time!
Not in NYC? You can still run/walk/bike...treadmill the equivalent distance, wherever you are, while fundraising to support programs that come alongside New Yorkers in need. These programs include food pantries, after school mentoring, ESL classes, job training, and more!
As a collective #TeamHFNY, you will be part of a group committed to raising funds and awareness for Hope for New York's 60 non-profit affiliates. Our goal is to raise (collectively) $75,000, which will also unlock a $75,000 match from a generous donor, for a total of $150,000. We'd love 50+ participants to raise $1500+ each to reach this goal.
So let's head outdoors to build up endorphins and engage (safely) with our city, our affiliates, and each other!
How to Get Started
1. Register and Create a Fundraising Page!
- Register for the Miles of Hope Challenge - Create your own personalized page and set a goal! Here you can add photos, tell your HFNY story, and customize the URL.
- You can register as an individual, or combine efforts and create a team!
Not sure you're ready to signup? Fill out this interest form and HFNY Staff will contact you with more info.
2. Select your route and log your miles in Strava
- You will receive an invitation to join our team on the Strava app so you can track your miles and engage with other Team HFNY fundraisers!
- Check out this quick video to see how you can log your miles in Strava.
- Choose from our pre-designated routes, create your own, or take on multiple routes.
3. Engage your network
- Share your fundraising page—let them know how they can support you and also help New Yorkers in need.
- If you want to fundraise as a team, invite your friends, family, church, community group, coworkers, etc., to participate with you to achieve maximum impact!
4. Run, walk, cycle (rollerblade, etc.) your distance!
- Complete your Miles of Hope Challenge distance from April 1 to May 31
- You don’t have to complete your route in one day—divide it up however you wish!
5. Take photos at each affiliate site you visit on your route
- Make sure you take selfies and/or photos of yourself outside each affiliate site on your route. Tag @hfny on Instagram/Facebook and add #milesofhopehfny.
Fundraising: What to Know
Miles of Hope Challenge Registration Fees
Registration fee will also count toward your fundraising minimum
- Early registration by April 15: $15
- Regular registration from April 16 to May 20: $25
Registration Fee Includes:
- Miles of Hope Challenge performance t-shirt
- Digital finisher certificate
- Fun prizes will also be given to fundraisers who reach certain giving milestones!
- Fundraised $500+ HFNY Sunglasses
- Fundraised $1000+ HFNY Water Bottle
- Fundraised $5000+ HFNY Athletic Hat
- Top Fundraiser & Fundraising Team - Performance Zip Up
How much do I need to fundraise by 5/31? We encourage you to go big and aim for $1,000! Please set a minimum goal of $500 (There is a required fundraising minimum of $50.)
How will HFNY support my fundraising? HFNY will come alongside you with resources and assets for fundraising. In addition to the Classy fundraising page and access to the #TeamHFNY community in Strava, we will provide a welcome packet with guidelines, logos, social tiles, promo video, and more.
What do I do if someone gives me a check or cash? Send it to HFNY with a note that includes your fundraising page name. Our address: 57 West 57th Street, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10019. Include the donor(s) name, address, and email address so that we may acknowledge and provide a receipt for their gift.
How do I complete my route(s)?
- However you like! Run, bicycle, walk, rollerblade, drive—or a combination!
- If you're part of a team, you can also divide your miles like a relay: have one teammate run a set distance, one teammate bike another distance, one teammate walk another distance, etc.
- Or, you can complete a route together in small, socially distanced groups—it's up to you!
Do I really need to take photos?
- If you're participating in New York and it's safe for you to do so, we strongly encourage you to take photos with yourself outside the affiliate sites on your route. Upload photos to Strava and social media to show the HFNY Network in action!
- If you're participating in another state, no need to take photos!
- Tag @hfny on Instagram/Facebook and add #milesofhopehfny
Do I have to complete my miles all at once? Nope! You can spread them out over several days or weekends. Just complete your full route within two months, between April 1 and May 31.
Can any kids and/or teens participate? Yes, we'd love to see families (and even youth groups!) working together to support our affiliates! Choose a route that makes sense for kids and/or teens.
Still Have Questions?
Please contact email@example.com